Skip to main content

Guatemala 2018: Skits and Miracles


How lovely it is to wake up in Guatemala!

Our day began at Getsemani school, where we interacted with three different groups in an open area on the third floor. The youth did their skit (very well!) that they had just learned the night before. The games of Sharks & Minnows and Octopus Tag were a big hit, also. So many smiling faces!

Doing their skit

Sharks and Minnows!

After lunch back at the compound, we returned to Getsemani to pick up some people. Walking inside the school as we waited, I felt so at home, so relaxed and peaceful...I hadn't felt so peaceful in soooo long! I felt so free.

We drove to a little village on the other side of San Bartolomé, a place with an amazing view, of volcanoes, hills covered in crops, and deep valleys. We went to a school on the side of a cliff/mountainside. The youth did their skit and some on the team shared testimonies. It was a very small group of kids, as others had to go home to help their parents with the farming, but they were very sweet and received the message well. As Jodi prayed in Spanish, we stood with them, laid hands on them, and prayed with her. The man in charge of the school, who used to be a pastor, thanked us and said he felt the Spirit moving there. For a short time before we left, we played with the kids.

Walking into the school

The view from the school

We then drove into La Colorado village and the small concrete-and-tin building we went into held several families. Some of us stepped back outside for a bit so the youth would have enough space to do their skit. Then we all went inside and lined up around the families lining the room and prayed for them. It was startling, for as we began to pray out loud for them they began to pray out loud as well, and though it was in Spanish, we could all tell that we were greatly out-prayed by these amazing people!

Ryan had gotten a picture of the one man's knee, so as Jodi translated for him, he asked the man about it and he said that yes, he had pain in it, so we gathered around to pray - Ryan and Miranda touching his knee, me touching his foot - and Ryan did most of the out-loud praying. Suddenly I stopped praying because I knew he was healed. Afterwards, he moved it, stepped on it, etc and said he didn't have pain anymore! Praise Jesus!

Lastly, we distributed food to the families there and gave the kiddos new plastic balls, which they had lots of fun playing with right outside!

Some of the kids playing with their new balls outside

On our way back, as dusk was falling, we stopped for pictures of the incredible view of both Volcán de Agua and Volcán de Fuego.

The amazing view (also the very top photo)

Here's a bonus - we also went for more groceries, and Kristen and Troy had a little too much fun in the chip aisle!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

Welcome to my journeys!  I am excited to be sharing them with you.  Since this blog was only started after my second major journey, you will have to follow the following links to read about it.  However, the rest I will be blogging about as I have time.  Blessings as you follow along! Guatemala Day 1 Guatemala Day 2 Guatemala Day 3 Guatemala Day 4 Guatemala Day 5 Guatemala Day 6 Guatemala Day 7 Guatemala Day 8

Thailand 2017: Falling in Love with ZOE

A place where broken children become whole through the love of Jesus and lonely children become part of a family. Where hope is restored and hurts healed. Where a new chance at life blooms. Where laughter echoes through open air hallways and smiles grow. It's a beautiful place of beautiful people, and it's a place that I fell in love with. It's ZOE International.  PC: ZOE From stepping onto the plane August 15 to stepping off on August 27, I went on a short term mission trip to Thailand through ZOE International. When I left for the trip, I had no idea what to expect, and all I really knew about ZOE was that they work to prevent child trafficking, rescue children, and help them through the restoration process. I had heard about it through one of their missionary couples who spoke twice at the church I started attending a couple of years ago.  I was not prepared for all that ZOE is: children so happy, loved and at home that you would never know their past; am...

Rhode Island Adventure

Day 1 Since our friend Kristen is in her last semester of college, and we never did get to see one of her volleyball games, my friend Miranda and I finally went to visit her and see one of her games! Which meant a weekend road trip to Rhode Island, of course! We left Friday, September 23 around noon, and we drove in six states before reaching our final destination: Pennsylvania (of course), New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts (no, we didn't get lost, the highway just literally goes into one and then back into the other). We got there around 8:30 and it had since grown dark; thankfully, we still found the house and a place to park. After being introduced to her housemates and dropping off our stuff in her room, we hung out in the kitchen, eating some of the stromboli she had made and chatting about what was going on with all of us. I was in charge of photographing all of the state signs we passed - here's just a few! The house th...