Skip to main content

Guatemala 2018: Dirt Roads and 200 Cheeseburgers



It was a flawless blue-sky day as we drove out to Yalu once again, over two very bad dirt roads as we got closer to the village.

Back at the school there for the third year, seeing the walls that we painted two different shades of blue two years ago, the youth did their skit once again. The kids really enjoyed doing Allelu Allelu with us, especially when they realized they should be trying to out-sing (yell!) the other half when it was their turn! Then, we played a crazy game of Sharks and Minnows with hundreds of excited children!! It was a crazy wave of little Guatemalans swarming us Americans.

The kids watching the skit



To shorten a long story, we had gotten a very late start in the morning and didn't have time to actually do physical labor for them, but we did see the location of where we at least left the supplies we had brought to build a chicken coop. It was a tiny little area where a family lives up along a hillside. It was the wife's idea to raise chickens to help support her barely surviving family.

After quick showers at the compound and a stop at MacDonald's, we toted our usual 200 cheeseburgers to the orphanage we always go to, where we did our skit, etc, and played with the kids.

For dinner we went to San Martin again, and was my vodka chicken pasta ever yummy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thailand 2017: Falling in Love with ZOE

A place where broken children become whole through the love of Jesus and lonely children become part of a family. Where hope is restored and hurts healed. Where a new chance at life blooms. Where laughter echoes through open air hallways and smiles grow. It's a beautiful place of beautiful people, and it's a place that I fell in love with. It's ZOE International.  PC: ZOE From stepping onto the plane August 15 to stepping off on August 27, I went on a short term mission trip to Thailand through ZOE International. When I left for the trip, I had no idea what to expect, and all I really knew about ZOE was that they work to prevent child trafficking, rescue children, and help them through the restoration process. I had heard about it through one of their missionary couples who spoke twice at the church I started attending a couple of years ago.  I was not prepared for all that ZOE is: children so happy, loved and at home that you would never know their past; am...

Welcome

Welcome to my journeys!  I am excited to be sharing them with you.  Since this blog was only started after my second major journey, you will have to follow the following links to read about it.  However, the rest I will be blogging about as I have time.  Blessings as you follow along! Guatemala Day 1 Guatemala Day 2 Guatemala Day 3 Guatemala Day 4 Guatemala Day 5 Guatemala Day 6 Guatemala Day 7 Guatemala Day 8

Guatemala 2016: Guatemala, Here I Come!

Waiting never was my strong suit. But here I am, waiting for 11:30 pm...for when I finally leave for the church, where we'll get all set and leave for BWI to fly out at 5:40 am tomorrow for Guatemala. It's been a year since we were last there, and it half feels like less than a year, and half like a very. long. year. But I guess it doesn't really matter how it feels, since I'll be flying out in about 7 hours! Wow. Our little friends will all be a year older...we're all older, and so much has changed....but isn't it exciting! The best part is not knowing yet what God will do this time! When I return in a week, I will slowly be typing up all about my third adventure in Guatemala for you to read all about. Until then!