Skip to main content

Germany 2015 - Recipes!

I had so much yummy food while I was in Germany!  My host mom gave me the recipes for some of my favorite foods, which I am going to share with you.  However, some of the ingredients are different than what we have in the US so I need to find out some more details for some of them, as well as translate it into my units of measurement, and you may have to, as well.  But, here they are!  I may update this post if I find out something important about one of the ingredients.  Happy German cooking!

Amerikaner (sugar cookies, German style)

100 gram butter
100 gram sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
2 eggs
45 grams milk
1 little bottle butter-vanilla-aroma
250 grams flour
1 package vanilla custard powder
2 teaspoons baking powder

Mix all of the ingredients.  Make little cookie piles with a spoon (like any cookies) on a baking tray.  Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)

Nuss-Streifen (really yummy nut cake!)

120 grams butter
3 eggs
300 grams sugar
300 grams ground hazelnuts
250 grams milk
200 grams flour
1 package backing soda

Mix all of the ingredients.  Then put the cake mix in a greased baking tray about 30x36 cm.  Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).  

Cake icing: whole milk chocolate with chopped hazelnuts on top

Tomato Salad

(Sorry, my host mom didn't have an actual recipe of how much stuff to put in, so you'll have to do as I will and just figure it out.)

Tomatoes cut up (into fourths or maybe smaller if you prefer)
Basil, parsley, chives, balsamic-vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil, and possibly onions

Potato Salad (SO much better than PA Dutch potato salad!)

1 kilogram fixed potatoes - cook, peel, cut slices
1 onion diced
1 cup hot broth
salt, pepper, vinegar, oil season

with chives garnish

Potato "bratl"

1 kilogram pork with skin, with salt and pepper season
1 big onion
1 clove of garlic

Put all into a pot in 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit)

When the onion is brown, brew with broth.  Regularly top with broth.  Fry 1.5 hours.

400 grams potatoes
2 big carrots
peel, halve, and add in.  Fry one more hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thailand 2017: Falling in Love with ZOE

A place where broken children become whole through the love of Jesus and lonely children become part of a family. Where hope is restored and hurts healed. Where a new chance at life blooms. Where laughter echoes through open air hallways and smiles grow. It's a beautiful place of beautiful people, and it's a place that I fell in love with. It's ZOE International.  PC: ZOE From stepping onto the plane August 15 to stepping off on August 27, I went on a short term mission trip to Thailand through ZOE International. When I left for the trip, I had no idea what to expect, and all I really knew about ZOE was that they work to prevent child trafficking, rescue children, and help them through the restoration process. I had heard about it through one of their missionary couples who spoke twice at the church I started attending a couple of years ago.  I was not prepared for all that ZOE is: children so happy, loved and at home that you would never know their past; am...

Welcome

Welcome to my journeys!  I am excited to be sharing them with you.  Since this blog was only started after my second major journey, you will have to follow the following links to read about it.  However, the rest I will be blogging about as I have time.  Blessings as you follow along! Guatemala Day 1 Guatemala Day 2 Guatemala Day 3 Guatemala Day 4 Guatemala Day 5 Guatemala Day 6 Guatemala Day 7 Guatemala Day 8

Guatemala 2016: Guatemala, Here I Come!

Waiting never was my strong suit. But here I am, waiting for 11:30 pm...for when I finally leave for the church, where we'll get all set and leave for BWI to fly out at 5:40 am tomorrow for Guatemala. It's been a year since we were last there, and it half feels like less than a year, and half like a very. long. year. But I guess it doesn't really matter how it feels, since I'll be flying out in about 7 hours! Wow. Our little friends will all be a year older...we're all older, and so much has changed....but isn't it exciting! The best part is not knowing yet what God will do this time! When I return in a week, I will slowly be typing up all about my third adventure in Guatemala for you to read all about. Until then!