Skip to main content

Thailand 2017: Why I Didn't Like the Elephant Camp

Yes, elephants are definitely amazing. They are beautiful and strong creatures created by God and it was fantastic to see, feed, and touch elephants while in Thailand - however, there's more to most elephant camps than meet the eye.


First, I will tell you about what I did like. I enjoyed feeding the elephants, because that made them happy. I enjoyed watching their bath time, because they were happy.

Where we fed the elephants


Elephant bath time!




I did not sign up to ride the elephants. I did not like the elephant show, especially when they were painting. Why, you ask? Well, because elephants are strong, yes, but they were not made to carry heavy things (like a cart to hold people) on their backs, they were made to pull things behind them. Also, painting with their trunks? It is completely unnatural for an elephant to do that, and they go through major trauma when they're forced to learn to do it. The elephant painting closest to where we were sitting was clearly distressed by having to paint. In between each paint brush, he would turn away and was holding his leg funny. While video does show it better (I will be posting a video after some of these posts), I also have stills. Oh yes, and also pictures of their hooks....when other elephant sanctuaries have found that positive reinforcement has the same training effects, why are hooks necessary?


The elephant painting...

...and turning away...

...and turning away again...


Hooks



So if you ever are thinking of seeing elephants while in Thailand (or elsewhere that has elephants, I'm sure), make sure you check it out first! Here's a good one for Thailand visitors.

For more information on this topic:
Article #1 
Article #2



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome

Welcome to my journeys!  I am excited to be sharing them with you.  Since this blog was only started after my second major journey, you will have to follow the following links to read about it.  However, the rest I will be blogging about as I have time.  Blessings as you follow along! Guatemala Day 1 Guatemala Day 2 Guatemala Day 3 Guatemala Day 4 Guatemala Day 5 Guatemala Day 6 Guatemala Day 7 Guatemala Day 8

Thailand 2017: Falling in Love with ZOE

A place where broken children become whole through the love of Jesus and lonely children become part of a family. Where hope is restored and hurts healed. Where a new chance at life blooms. Where laughter echoes through open air hallways and smiles grow. It's a beautiful place of beautiful people, and it's a place that I fell in love with. It's ZOE International.  PC: ZOE From stepping onto the plane August 15 to stepping off on August 27, I went on a short term mission trip to Thailand through ZOE International. When I left for the trip, I had no idea what to expect, and all I really knew about ZOE was that they work to prevent child trafficking, rescue children, and help them through the restoration process. I had heard about it through one of their missionary couples who spoke twice at the church I started attending a couple of years ago.  I was not prepared for all that ZOE is: children so happy, loved and at home that you would never know their past; am...

Rhode Island Adventure

Day 1 Since our friend Kristen is in her last semester of college, and we never did get to see one of her volleyball games, my friend Miranda and I finally went to visit her and see one of her games! Which meant a weekend road trip to Rhode Island, of course! We left Friday, September 23 around noon, and we drove in six states before reaching our final destination: Pennsylvania (of course), New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts (no, we didn't get lost, the highway just literally goes into one and then back into the other). We got there around 8:30 and it had since grown dark; thankfully, we still found the house and a place to park. After being introduced to her housemates and dropping off our stuff in her room, we hung out in the kitchen, eating some of the stromboli she had made and chatting about what was going on with all of us. I was in charge of photographing all of the state signs we passed - here's just a few! The house th...