Skip to main content

Traveling in Skirts: The Undocumented Tips (Part 2)

Here I am with more about traveling in skirts! This one may not be as long and detailed as the first, but it should still prove useful.

First, I thought I'd get into some potential questions about skirt-wearing.

Question #1 - Why Travel in Skirts?

  • Because skirts are your daily wardrobe. Granted, I realize that this is not the reason for many people. It is, however, my reason.
  • Modesty is appreciated or even necessary in many cultures. Often, especially in third world countries, unless you're in a heavy tourist area (usually the big cities or other famous spots), the locals tend to dress more conservatively. In western countries (US, Canada, most of Europe, Australia, etc) this is not a thing, but it definitely is in Guatemala, where I've been many times, or Thailand, where I will be traveling to (in about a month, wow time flies!). Even in some tourist areas such as temples, a skirt (and at times a top that covers the shoulders and a scarf or something that covers the head) is required in order to gain admittance. 
  • Skirts can be cooler! If you're in a hot climate, a skirt that lets the breeze through is extremely beneficial.
  • They're cute! Skirts make super cute outfits. Let's be honest. 
Question #2 - What About Wrinkles?
  • Roll your clothes when you pack them. If you lay your skirts out and carefully fold them, say, in half, and then roll them tightly before packing them they really don't unpack with any more wrinkles than you started with, with the exception of certain fabrics (rayon, for instance, wrinkles terribly no matter what you do with it!). Jean may occasionally get wrinkly, but you can smooth them out almost perfectly most of the time. 
  • Hanger? Not necessarily. Again, unless you pack fussy fabrics (like rayon), which I would advise against to begin with, you don't even need to worry about having hangers along. I've never had a problem finding a place to gently lay my skirts over (say, a chair, an extra bed, even my suitcase, etc) so that they didn't wrinkle.
Question #3 - Did I find the Perfect Airplane Outfit?
Well...I might've. I re-discovered this Old Navy skirt that my sister gave to me about 9 months ago, and 1) it's super comfy and not too hot or cool, 2) it already has two layers so I don't need to worry about wearing a slip, and 3) it has pockets! It also goes perfectly with my beloved Captain America shield shirt that my friend bought me three years ago that has become my "travel shirt." I will have a definitive answer about this after I return from my next trip.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thailand 2017: Falling in Love with ZOE

A place where broken children become whole through the love of Jesus and lonely children become part of a family. Where hope is restored and hurts healed. Where a new chance at life blooms. Where laughter echoes through open air hallways and smiles grow. It's a beautiful place of beautiful people, and it's a place that I fell in love with. It's ZOE International.  PC: ZOE From stepping onto the plane August 15 to stepping off on August 27, I went on a short term mission trip to Thailand through ZOE International. When I left for the trip, I had no idea what to expect, and all I really knew about ZOE was that they work to prevent child trafficking, rescue children, and help them through the restoration process. I had heard about it through one of their missionary couples who spoke twice at the church I started attending a couple of years ago.  I was not prepared for all that ZOE is: children so happy, loved and at home that you would never know their past; am...

Welcome

Welcome to my journeys!  I am excited to be sharing them with you.  Since this blog was only started after my second major journey, you will have to follow the following links to read about it.  However, the rest I will be blogging about as I have time.  Blessings as you follow along! Guatemala Day 1 Guatemala Day 2 Guatemala Day 3 Guatemala Day 4 Guatemala Day 5 Guatemala Day 6 Guatemala Day 7 Guatemala Day 8

Guatemala 2016: Guatemala, Here I Come!

Waiting never was my strong suit. But here I am, waiting for 11:30 pm...for when I finally leave for the church, where we'll get all set and leave for BWI to fly out at 5:40 am tomorrow for Guatemala. It's been a year since we were last there, and it half feels like less than a year, and half like a very. long. year. But I guess it doesn't really matter how it feels, since I'll be flying out in about 7 hours! Wow. Our little friends will all be a year older...we're all older, and so much has changed....but isn't it exciting! The best part is not knowing yet what God will do this time! When I return in a week, I will slowly be typing up all about my third adventure in Guatemala for you to read all about. Until then!